Are You Missing The Mean Green Pizza From The Crust?
Your wait is over! We have come up with a similar recipe for the Mean Green Pizza that you can attempt at home. Now that many of us are stuck at home due to the coronavirus, why not try to bake your own pizza. You can be very creative and even attempt to make your own crust or try store-bought pizza dough or pre-made crust. The crust depends on your skill level and comfort in your kitchen.
This is also a fun activity to have other family members join in and experiment with making different pizzas. Everyone can select their own toppings and create their own version.
In this post, we are mainly focusing on the Mean Green Pizza recipe that used to be a favorite at the Crust restaurant, but it is not identical. Feel free to add your own special touch to it and use our recipe as a base guideline.
Mean Green Pizza
All of the flavor of fresh spinach, basil pesto, fire-roasted jalapenos, green onions, asiago, parmesan & mozzarella cheese, and artichokes in the form of a pizza; pure pizza heaven!
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 tbsp olive oil, can skip but then add 3 tbsp of basil pesto
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 ounce thawed frozen or cooked fresh spinach (squeezed of excess liquid) and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/4 cup Asiago, grated
- 1 (14 ounces) can or can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 fire-roasted jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- 3 green onions, sliced (optional)
- Shape the pizza dough to the desired form and place it on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the whole pizza with the mix of the garlic along with the olive oil and basil pesto, scatter small chunks of cream cheese after putting parmesan & asiago, spinach, mozzarella, and artichokes, ensuring to get some of the parmesan on the crust edges also.
- Bake in a preheated 500F/260C oven until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy and golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Additional Topping Suggestions
- Sprinkle some cornmeal on the oiled sheet to help prevent sticking.
- Add 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken.
- Add sliced fire-roasted jalapeno.
- Add sliced sundried tomatoes.
- Add sliced or crumbled crispy bacon.
- Sprinkle after baking with green onions.
Nutrition details: Calories 459, Fat 23g (Saturated 10g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 47mg, Sodium 892mg, Carbs 42g (Fiber 7g, Sugars 2g), Protein 21g
Roasted Vegetable Garden Party Pizza
Is there anything like a pizza with a glass of wine to cap off a long day? This Roasted Vegetable Garden Pizza with pesto topped with herbed goat cheese and is stuffed with aromatic vegetables. If you are feeling energetic, make your own pizza crust or buy at the neighborhood grocery store or bakery.
Dough for 1 Pizza crust
- For the Roasted Vegetables: (use ones you like)
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 moderate purple eggplant, chopped into thin 1/2″ pieces
- (or use colored bell peppers)
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Pizza Toppings
- 1 little log (about 140g) of herbed goat cheese (plain works also!)
- 3 tbsp pesto sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Balsamic reduction (optional but highly recommended)
- If you’re making dough from scratch, prepare beforehand
- Start with roasting the vegetables. Preheat the microwave to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet. Toss the eggplant, zucchini, and red onion with pepper, salt, and olive oil. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Or use your oven at 400F and back for 30 minutes until they are starting to show black edges. Bell peppers will need to be peeled after roasting.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes. When the veggies are done roasting. Preheat the oven again.
- Prepare your pizza pan – to be sure that the dough doesn’t stick, spray thoroughly with non-stick spray or coat with olive oil and then sprinkle with either flour or cornmeal.
- Once ready, stretch your dough to a circle or square until it reaches the edges of your pan.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the crust and then top with roasted vegetables and crumbled goat cheese.
Bake For 12 – 15 minutes or until the crust’s edges is nicely browned. Here is another optional tip, you can add some arugula on top of the pizza after it comes out of the oven. Then if you are using balsamic reduction drizzle over the pizza and enjoy it.